HighSpeedOptions is reader supported. When you make purchases through links on our site, we may earn a commission. Learn how.
Table of Contents
Whatever you do, don’t settle on a provider. Whether shopping for a bargain or settling into a new home, finding internet service that checks off the boxes on your wishlist is possible more times than not. You just have to know what to look for.
If you live in the Northeast, Shenandoah Telecommunications Company (Shentel) might be the best choice for you and your family. Shentel is a Northeast provider with affordable internet plans starting at just $40/mo. With speeds, plans, and pricing comparable to larger providers, Shentel is a popular household name for local residents.
Shentel is a regional provider currently serving over 1 million people across Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and West Virginia. Compared to larger providers, Shentel is highly rated in categories for customer service and reliability. Review our favorite features and things to note for their cheapest internet plans.
Our Favorite Features:
- Free Internet Security Protection – Shentel offers free security and data protection on select plans for extra online safety. It’s an extra layer of security you didn’t know you needed.
- No Contracts – Say goodbye to getting stuck with service you’re not thrilled with. Shentel offers no-contract options on all internet plans, so you can have more flexibility with your budget.
Things to Note:
- Price Hikes – While Shentel offers no-contract options, you can expect to see your bill increase after your first 12-month promotional period is up. This price increase can be between $10 – $20.
- Data Caps – Like many providers, Shentel internet comes with data caps to regulate their network traffic and overall performance. Data allowances vary depending on the speed tier you choose at sign-up, so keep that in mind when making a decision.
Cheapest Shentel Internet Plans
Shentel simplifies its internet plans to make selecting service easier for customers. If you live in an area with Shentel service, there are 4 internet plans to choose from. We break down the price, data limits, and recommended number of devices each plan supports. Then, we give you our recommendations on the best-valued plan.
|Shentel Plans||Download Speeds Up To||Price/mo.*||Data Cap|
|PowerHouse 50||50 Mbps||$40.00||500 GB/mo.|
|PowerHouse 150||150 Mbps||$55.00||1 TB/mo.|
|PowerHouse 300||300 Mbps||$85.00||1.5 TB/mo.|
|PowerHouse 1 Gig||1 Gbps||$175.00||3 TB/mo.|
|Shentel Plans||PowerHouse 50|
|Download Speeds Up To||50 Mbps|
|Data Cap||500 GB/mo.|
|Shentel Plans||PowerHouse 150|
|Download Speeds Up To||150 Mbps|
|Data Cap||1 TB/mo.|
|Shentel Plans||PowerHouse 300|
|Download Speeds Up To||300 Mbps|
|Data Cap||1.5 TB/mo.|
|Shentel Plans||PowerHouse 1 Gig|
|Download Speeds Up To||1 Gbps|
|Data Cap||3 TB/mo.|
Best Plan for Your Money: Shentel PowerHouse 150
Priced at an even $55/mo., Shentel PowerHouse 150 packs the most value for the price. This plan comes with strong internet speeds up to 150 Mbps that can support four to six connected devices at once without lag or dead spots. Additionally, you’ll receive 1 TB/mo. of data that is more than the average household typically uses in one month, as well as bonus perks at no additional cost.
Shentel Service Perks
Shentel definitely sets itself apart from other providers with its service perks. Below we list our favorite features Shentel includes in their internet plans to help you assess your options easily.
- Bundle Discounts – In addition to internet, Shentel also offers cable TV and home phone services that you can bundle for cheaper rates. Enjoy big discounts and the convenience of one bill payment when you bundle.
- No Contracts – Shentel promotes no-contract options on internet plans to give customers more control over their service. Pause or switch plans whenever you need.
- Shentel Tech Home – Select internet plans come with free internet security that includes features like anti-theft spyware, password protection, and parental controls. Explore all Tech Home features here.
- 30-Day Money-Back Guarantee – Shentel promises full refunds on services canceled within the first 30 days of a subscription. All rental equipment must be returned prior to the 30-day mark to be eligible for your money back. This is a nice perk for those still on the fence.
- Flex Prepaid Plan – Shentel also offers a limited pay-as-you-use option that only charges you for the bandwidth you use each month. There are no contracts or credit checks required for this plan.
Additional Ways to Save
A cheap price tag on internet service isn’t the end of saving money. There are additional ways to save; you just have to know where to look. Depending on which provider you choose, you could use any of these tips below to reduce your monthly payment.
Watch your data usage
Like many providers, Shentel does have data caps and an overage fee of up to $50 on your monthly bill if you exceed that limit. However, Shentel also provides a data tracker for customers to monitor their monthly usage. Checking this regularly can help you avoid unnecessary overage fees and save money where it matters.
Potential Savings: $50 – $100 a month
Bundling services is an easy way to save more money. When you bundle Shentel internet with cable TV and/or phone, your collective bill may be significantly lower than if you were to purchase them separately.
Potential Savings: $10 – $30 a month
Use your own internet equipment
Providers usually lease their own equipment when you sign up for service. It costs anywhere from $10 – $25 for their router and/or modem, but luckily you don’t always have to accept. Some providers allow customers to use their own equipment, which can save you money in the long run. A good router costs about $100, but you end up making up the difference in less than a year compared to lease fees.
Potential Savings: $10 – $20 a month
Negotiate a service contract
Even if your provider doesn’t require a contract, you can always try to request one for a chance at lower rates. Offering to sign a service agreement may give you room to negotiate a better price on your monthly bill. The worst they can say is no.
Potential Savings: $5 – $20 a month
While Shentel has plenty to offer, it may not be right for everyone. Depending on where you live, there are typically 3-4 different internet providers you can compare to make absolutely sure you found the right one for you. Try entering your zip code below to start comparing options near you today!
Enter your zip code to see providers near you
Table of Contents