HighSpeedOptions prides itself on providing honest, quality content. While we may be compensated when you make a purchase through links on our site, all opinions are our own. Here's how we make money.
Table of Contents
Don’t get bogged down searching for affordable internet. Depending on your location, there are likely regional or local options that offer more bang for your buck than bigger national names. If you live in the north, Midcontinent Communications (Midco) may be the right choice for you.
As its name suggests, Midco is a Midwest cable internet provider that offers one of the cheapest high-speed internet plans starting at just $14.95/mo. Available to both rural and urban communities, Midco makes heads turn with its plan variety and added perks.
We break down Midco internet and the best options available if you’re shopping on a budget.
- Midwest ISP
- Fast rural internet options
- No contracts or data caps
If you’re just hearing about Midco, you should know Midco is ranked among the top 10 fastest ISPs in the United States for its reliable internet speed. Available to an estimated 1.2 million people throughout the Midwest, Midco services communities across Kansas, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, and Wisconsin.
While Midco does pack its plans with extra features, it’s not for everyone. Read our Midco internet breakdown below to better understand your options, and decide what provider is right for you.
Our Favorite Features:
- Variety of internet plans – Midco is known for its selection of speed options. Choose between 6 different internet plans depending on your lifestyle needs, and only pay for what you need.
- Unlimited data – Midco offers unlimited data on all of their internet plans, so customers can enjoy the full benefits of their service without overage fees, speed throttling, or random disconnects.
Things to Note:
- Limited Availability – Unfortunately, Midco is only available in select communities throughout 5 states in the Midwest.
- No contracts – While contracts can be nice, you have to look out for sudden price hikes. Midco typically increases prices after their first 12-month promotional period.
Cheapest Midco Internet Plans
Depending on where you live, Midco offers a variety of internet plans and pricing to fit just about any lifestyle. Midco provides internet speeds ranging from 25 Mbps up to 1 Gbps for everything from simple web browsing to online gaming. See below their internet plan options and which plan we selected as the best deal for your money.
|Internet Plans||Download Speeds Up To||Start Price*|
|Midco 25||25 Mbps||$14.95|
|Midco 50||50 Mbps||$49.95|
|Midco 100||100 Mbps||$59.95|
|Midco 150||150 Mbps||$69.95|
|Midco 500||500 Mbps||$79.95|
|Midco Gig||1 Gbps||$99.95|
|Internet Plans||Midco 25|
|Download Speeds Up To||25 Mbps|
|Internet Plans||Midco 50|
|Download Speeds Up To||50 Mbps|
|Internet Plans||Midco 100|
|Download Speeds Up To||100 Mbps|
|Internet Plans||Midco 150|
|Download Speeds Up To||150 Mbps|
|Internet Plans||Midco 500|
|Download Speeds Up To||500 Mbps|
|Internet Plans||Midco Gig|
|Download Speeds Up To||1 Gbps|
Best Deal for the Price: Midco Internet 50
Starting at $49.95/mo., Midco’s Internet 50 plan packs the most value. With unlimited data, no contracts, and affordable cost, Midco Internet 50 is ideal for small families or households with 3-5 connected devices. A common starter plan for average internet usage, 50 Mbps can support movie streaming, online gaming, and web browsing. And, if you feel like you need an upgrade later on, doubling your speed will only cost an additional $10/mo.
Midco Service Perks
If you’re on the fence about which provider to select, you will want to look at what service perks each has to offer. In addition to its wide variety of plans, Midco also adds value by offering bonus perks for new subscribers.
- Blazing-Fast Fiber Speeds – Midco is a fiber internet provider offering speeds up to 1 Gbps throughout its service area. In 2021, they will build fiber in parts of SD, MN, and SD that include speeds up to 5 Gbps – the fastest internet speeds in the U.S.
- No Contracts – With Midco, you never have to worry about being locked into a plan you don’t love. Midco does not require contracts on their internet plans, which can be great for those on a tight budget and like the freedom to shop around.
- No Data Caps – Midco offers unlimited data on all internet plans, so you never have to worry about throttling speeds, temporarily disconnects, or overage fees that break your budget.
- Referral Program – Take advantage of the Connect-a-Friend referral program Midco offers that rewards both parties with a credit up to $200 for use on a future bill.
- 30-Day Money-Back Guarantee – Midco offers full refunds on services if canceled within the first 30 days of your subscription. All rental equipment will need to be returned prior to the 30-day mark as well to be fulfilled.
Additional Ways to Save
Don’t stop at your internet plan when trying to save money. There are additional ways to save on your internet service if you’re determined to trim costs. Depending on which provider you choose, you could use any of these tips below to reduce your monthly payment.
Use your own internet equipment
While providers typically lease their own equipment costing you anywhere from $10 – $25, you don’t always have to accept. Some providers allow customers to use their own router and/or modem, which can save you money in the long run. A decent router costs roughly $100, but you will end up breaking even on that investment in less than a year.
Potential Savings: $10 – $20 a month
Negotiate a service contract
Even if your provider doesn’t require a contract, you can always try to request one for a chance at lower rates. Offering to sign a service agreement may give you room to negotiate a better price on your monthly bill. The worst they can say is no.
Potential Savings: $5 – $20 a month
Bundling services is an easy way to save more money. When you bundle Midco internet with TV and/or phone, your collective bill may be significantly lower than if you were to purchase them separately.
Potential Savings: $10 – $30 a month
Midco offers a Lifeline Assistance program in partnership with the FCC that provides discounted services to qualifying households in its service area. Eligible candidates can receive Midco internet with speeds up to 25 Mbps for as little as $9.95/mo.
Potential Savings: $10 – $50 a month
At the end of the day, each family has their own wish list to base their decision on. If you want to weigh your options further, try entering your zip code below to compare providers available near you.
Find providers in your area
Table of Contents