Top Internet Providers in San Francisco
Finding the Best Deals for You.
This should only take a sec.
Overview of San Francisco Providers
Looking to switch providers? Whether it’s for a big move or just to save money, there are plenty of quality internet service providers (ISP) in San Francisco. Most residents have at least three or more internet options to choose from. Xfinity offers the most city-wide coverage, while AT&T is known for its reliable fiber internet.
In early 2021, Verizon announced 5G home internet availability in the Golden City, adding even more ways for friends and family to connect. Shop all San Francisco internet options here to find the best service for you.
Internet Statistics for San Francisco, California
San Francisco has more internet options than you might think. Nearly 99% of its 3.3 million residents have access to broadband speeds of up to 100 Mbps or faster according to the FCC. Of all San Francisco provider options, the two largest providers by coverage area are AT&T and Xfinity, which offer gigabit speeds and plans under $50/mo. Before you set your eyes on one, check out what our experts have to say about them.
Compare Internet Service Providers in San Francisco
|Provider||Starting Price||Max Download Speed||Max Upload Speed|
|Astound Broadband Powered by Wave||$70.00/mo.*||100 Mbps – 940 Mbps||5 Mbps – 10 Mbps|
|Xfinity||$19.99/mo. – $299.95/mo.||1,200Mbps – 3Gbps||3Gbps – 35Mbps|
|Viasat||$49.99/mo. – $149.99/mo.||12 Mbps – 100 Mbps||3 Mbps|
|HughesNet||$44.99/mo.||25 Mbps||3 Mbps|
|AT&T||$55/mo. – $80/mo.||300 Mbps – 940 Mbps||300 Mbps – 940 Mbps|
|EarthLink||$49.95/mo. – $59.95/mo.||5Gbps – 100Mbps||5Gbps – 40Mbps|
|Provider||Astound Broadband Powered by Wave|
|Max Download Speed||100 Mbps – 940 Mbps|
|Max Upload Speed||5 Mbps – 10 Mbps|
|Starting Price||$19.99/mo. – $299.95/mo.|
|Max Download Speed||1,200Mbps – 3Gbps|
|Max Upload Speed||3Gbps – 35Mbps|
|Starting Price||$49.99/mo. – $149.99/mo.|
|Max Download Speed||12 Mbps – 100 Mbps|
|Max Upload Speed||3 Mbps|
|Max Download Speed||25 Mbps|
|Max Upload Speed||3 Mbps|
|Starting Price||$55/mo. – $80/mo.|
|Max Download Speed||300 Mbps – 940 Mbps|
|Max Upload Speed||300 Mbps – 940 Mbps|
|Starting Price||$49.95/mo. – $59.95/mo.|
|Max Download Speed||5Gbps – 100Mbps|
|Max Upload Speed||5Gbps – 40Mbps|
Pricing, speeds, offers, and availability vary by service address and are subject to change at any time. Additional fees, taxes, and terms may apply. As of 02/10/22.
Types of Internet is Available in San Francisco
A wide variety of internet connections are available in San Francisco, California including 5G, fiber, cable, DSL, and satellite. Cable internet is the primary type of internet in San Francisco with about 97% coverage. DSL internet and fiber internet are also widely available.
- Fiber: Fiber internet offers users symmetrical speeds at affordable prices. While a few providers deliver up to 10 Gbps, most fiber plans come with speeds up to 1000 Mbps.
- Cable: A better alternative to DSL, cable internet delivers service over existing TV lines. This provides wide availability and potential download speeds up to 1000 Mbps.
- DSL: DSL internet runs on existing telephone lines. It’s more available than cable or fiber internet and can deliver download speeds up to 150 Mbps in select areas.
- Satellite: Satellite internet is available virtually anywhere in the US, with speeds ranging from 25 to 150 Mbps. This makes it a great option for those living in more remote areas.
- Fixed-Wireless: Fixed-wireless internet delivers service using radio towers. It typically offers lower latency than satellite internet but often comes with a data cap.
- 5G: 5G networks run on three different bands with speeds up to 100 Mbps, 1000 Mbps, or 10 Gbps. This allows for faster speeds, lower latency, and increased connectivity.
Please keep in mind that while the types of internet listed above do exist in San Francisco, availability depends entirely on your location. There may be far more or far less coverage depending on the district – or even the street – where you live.
San Francisco Internet FAQs:
The best internet provider in San Francisco by coverage is Xfinity. However, availability will depend entirely on where you live. Use our zip search tool to explore options near you.
To date, there are 7 San Francisco internet providers. Enter your zip code here to find the best plans available near you.