Looking for better, cheaper internet? If you live in California, Sonic may be the best provider for your family’s needs. Bringing affordable high-speed internet to local residents and businesses, Sonic offers plans starting at just $29.99/mo.* You can get fiber internet speeds up to 1 Gbps and enjoy bonus perks other providers can’t offer, like free same-day installation.
We did research on the cheapest Sonic internet plans to help you decide if you’re ready to switch providers. See what sets Sonic internet apart from other options near you.
Based in California, Sonic prides itself on bringing high-speed internet to West Coast communities for far cheaper than other providers serving the same areas. Sonic mainly runs on a fiber-optic network and offers internet to select regions including the San Francisco Bay Area, Sacramento, Los Angeles, and their surrounding suburbs. It’s known for affordability and blazing-fast speeds that are hard to come by elsewhere. Below we selected our favorite features and things to note when considering Sonic.
Our Favorite Features:
- Unlimited Data – While some providers enforce data limits, Sonic internet plans include unlimited data to ensure customers are getting the most out of their subscriptions.
- Affordable Prices – On a mission to make high-speed internet accessible to all, Sonic offers competitive prices that are affordable in comparison to some providers in the same coverage area. Sonic’s base plan starts at just $39.99/mo.*
Things to Note:
- Limited Availability – Sonic is a hyperlocal provider that is only available in select regions within the state of California.
- Contracts – Like many providers, Sonic requires new customers to sign a 12-month service agreement. The upside of a contract is that it guarantees you a price-lock for the duration of its term. The downside is that after this period is over, your provider has the ability to increase prices.
Cheapest Sonic Internet Plans
Compared to other providers, Sonic is rated #1 for its affordable fiber internet prices. We break down its packages and highlight the best band for your buck below.
|Sonic Plans||Download Speeds Up To||Price/mo.*|
|Fusion 50||50 Mbps/6 Mbps||$59.99/mo.|
|Fusion 100||100 Mbps/8 Mbps||$59.99/mo.|
|Fusion Gig||1 Gbps/1 Gbps||$69.99/mo.|
|Fusion DSLX1||20 Mbps/1.5 Mbps||$49.99/mo.|
|Fusion DSLX2||40 Mbps/3 Mbps||$69.99/mo.|
|Fusion Gigabit Fiber||1 Gbps/1 Gbps||$39.99/mo.|
*Note: the “Fusion Gig” is a Sonic-supported fiber product under AT&T infrastructure which starts at $69.99.
*Data sourced 4/27/21
|Sonic Plans||Fusion 50|
|Download Speeds Up To||50 Mbps/6 Mbps|
|Sonic Plans||Fusion 100|
|Download Speeds Up To||100 Mbps/8 Mbps|
|Sonic Plans||Fusion Gig|
|Download Speeds Up To||1 Gbps/1 Gbps|
|Sonic Plans||Fusion DSLX1|
|Download Speeds Up To||20 Mbps/1.5 Mbps|
|Sonic Plans||Fusion DSLX2|
|Download Speeds Up To||40 Mbps/3 Mbps|
|Sonic Plans||Fusion Gigabit Fiber|
|Download Speeds Up To||1 Gbps/1 Gbps|
Best bang for your buck: Sonic Gigabit Fiber Plan
Starting at $39.99/mo. for the first 12 months of service, Sonic’s top internet package also happens to be a steal. In addition to unlimited data, this plan also boasts symmetrical gigabit speeds which are 20x faster than the national average. It’s optimal for households with multiple people, 10+ connected devices, and heavy usage.
Sonic Service Perks
In addition to industry-low prices and blazing-fast speeds, Sonic also offers a handful of bonus features that win customers over. Below we list the bonus perks included in Sonic internet plans to help you decide if Sonic is the right fit for you.
- Unlimited Data – Sonic offers internet plans with unlimited data, so customers can enjoy their subscription without worrying about speed throttling or sudden disconnects.
- Contract buyouts – If you switch to Sonic for service, Sonic will reimburse gigabit fiber internet customers for an early termination fee (ETF) from their current provider up to $200.
- Free Same-Day Installations – Professional installations typically cost anywhere from $60 – $120 and take up to 2 weeks to schedule. Yet, Sonic offers free same-day installations for new customers. No last-minute fees and no install delays.
- Eero WiFi Extenders – Say goodbye to dead spots and latency issues. With a Sonic internet subscription, you have the option to add on Eero WiFi Extenders for a small monthly fee to help extend your home coverage.
- Bundle Discounts – You can bundle Sonic fiber internet and phone services to receive cheaper pricing on your combined services. Enjoy lower rates and the convenience of one bill payment when you bundle.
- 30-Day Money-Back Guarantee – Sonic promises a full refund on all services canceled within the first 30 days of installation. Please note that all rental equipment must be returned prior to the 30-day mark to be eligible for your money back.
Additional Ways to Save
A cheap price on your internet plan isn’t the end of you saving money. Depending on which provider you choose, you could use any of these tips below for additional monthly savings on your bill.
Use your internet equipment
While providers like to offer their own equipment for a monthly leasing fee of $10 – $25, you don’t always have to accept. Some providers will allow you to use your own router and/or modem, which can save you money in the long run. A decent router costs about $100 upfront, but you will end up breaking even on that investment in less than a year.
Potential Savings: $10 – $20 a month
Watch your data usage
When providers enforce data caps, you can experience an overage fee of up to $50 on your monthly bill if you exceed that limit. However, your provider may have a data calculator that keeps track of how much data you’ve used up for the month. Checking this regularly can help you avoid unnecessary overage fees.
Potential Savings: $50 – $100 a month
Negotiate a service contract
Even if the provider doesn’t require a service agreement, you can always try to request a contract. Offering to sign a 12-month or 24-month contract may give you room to negotiate a better price on your monthly internet service. The worst they can say is no.
Potential Savings: $5 – $20 a month
Bundle two or more services
Bundling services is an easy way to save more money. Standalone services typically cost more separately. In Sonic’s case, bundling their internet and phone service can save customers up to $20/mo. on their bill.
Potential Savings: $5 – $30 a month
If you’re a professional working from home, frequently use the internet to stream movies, or host online gaming sessions, Sonic fiber internet may be the cheapest – and best – option for you. To compare Sonic to other providers in your area, enter your zip code below!